At the beginning of this Year, FITSY launched the #TheYearOfYou campaign for our fitness community.
The purpose was to motivate them in not just maintaining their fitness resolution but following through with it for the entire year.
In keeping with the theme, we are constantly publishing motivational and informational, blogs, posts, giveaway challenges, and more!
But in this article, we are going to dive deep into the subject of fitness and give you many more reasons for maintaining a healthy and fit lifestyle. We will share with you some of our Best Home Gym Equipment that we recommend for 2020.
This quarantine period is the perfect time to re-evaluate your lifestyle and make serious changes to it by working on yourself.
The best thing to do at this time is to start educating your self into the benefits of fitness and ultimately convert your knowledge into motivation towards achieving it.
These days, it is becoming less feasible to hit the gym or fitness centres, especially if your job/family life demands more hours or your local gym is far from home. Therefore, home-based workouts are gaining popularity and rightly so. There are benefits are very high compared to the disadvantages. Especially since so much information and exercise routines are available online, it is much easier to manage fitness from home.
Regular Exercise & Fitness (According to Science):
There have been multiple studies and articles suggesting that there are direct benefits to health due to regular exercise or physical activity. Also, physical activity could significantly reduce the risk of heart diseases, type 2 diabetes, Obesity, Alzheimer's disease, dementia, etc. However, this is quite a common knowledge by now.
Why is it important to advocate fitness, especially now?
According to a recent study conducted by 'Primary Healthcare and Research Development,' a total of 442 million people worldwide live with diabetes & type 2 diabetes. India is referred to as the 'Diabetes Capital of the World.' The International Diabetes Federation stated that the number of diabetics is expected to rise from 40.9 million to 69.9 million by 2025 in India. The reason for this, apart from genetics, is the unhealthy lifestyle of Indians that includes tobacco consumption, physical inactivity, unhealthy diet, and increased use of alcohol.
Apart from Diabetes, Cardiovascular (heart) diseases are the primary cause of deaths and healthcare problems- About 25% of deaths in the age group of 25-69 years occur because of heart diseases. 2.4 million Indians die due to heart disease every year. (Report on Major Health Problems in India by Healthcare' nt' sick-care clinical lab)
One of the biggest reasons why fitness needs to be taken seriously now is Obesity. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Obesity is one of the most common public health problems yet among the most neglected ones in both developed and developing countries. In India, overweight and Obesity is increasing faster than the world average.
It is estimated that 27.8% of Indians would be overweight and 5.0% obese by 2030. (Report on Global Burden of Obesity in 2005 and projections to 2030).
These alarming statistics on the status of diseases that we are riddled with, when combined with communicable diseases (infections, diarrheal, TB, etc.) cause a major setback to our productivity and overall community health.
It is important that we understand the outcomes of neglecting it and start taking our fitness seriously.
Staying fit is attributed to increased immunity as well, which is very important since we have seen with the recent example that pandemics break out without warnings or memo.
Something we often tend to neglect is our mental health. It is proven that regular exercise significantly improves our psychological health. Physical activity releases positive hormones that enhance our overall mood and happiness.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Regular Exercise:
Here are 10 Benefits of Regular Exercise that may inspire you to improve your fitness:
- Increase in Energy Levels: Exercise regularly will make you feel energetic throughout the day. You will stop feeling tired or drained.
- Helps Weight Loss: Along with a proper diet, it is important to include physical activity since eating habits alone will not help you burn fat or tone your body.
- Improves Muscles and Bones: Training with weights gives you great muscles. However, it is a lesser known fact that certain exercises can also improve your bone density and strength.
- Enhances Happiness: When you exercise, your body releases endorphins which trigger a positive feeling in your mind & body and increases your happiness.
- Improves Sleep Quality: Exercise helps in making your muscles relaxed and flexible, which in turn helps in preparing your body to relax thereby getting a sound sleep.
- Heart Health: Exercise speeds up your heart rate which helps in keeping the heart healthy. It is also proven to improve cardio-vascular health.
- Boosts Brain Power: exercise helps in clearing your mind and keeps your brain away from fatigue.
- Increases Metabolism: Exercising regularly greatly impacts your metabolic rate and improves digestion of food.
- Life Elixir: Exercise is often given the term of life elixir because it truly does have the potential to increase your lifespan and make you feel younger.
- Addiction Control: when someone is suffering from a form or addiction or even if someone wants to reduce their alcohol or tobacco consumption in general, it is often suggested to exercise because it helps in curbing addiction.
Best Types of Exercises:
At-home fitness is achievable and can get great results in a short span of time, even with a busy schedule and too many responsibilities.
According to Harvard Health, there are 4 most important type of exercises that will help you be active, physically as well as mentally:
Your exercise routine should, more or less, include forms and exercises that cover these 4 types to achieve balanced and prolonged fitness.
- Aerobic exercise: exercises that speed your heart-rate such as running, jogging, Zumba/dancing, etc.
- Strength training: exercises involving body weights and lifting, which strengthens muscles, improves posture, tones, and shapes the body as well as assists with weight control.
- Stretching: With aging, muscles and tendons lose their flexibility; hence stretching exercises are important to increase range of motion, reduce pain, and the risk for injury.
- Balance Exercise: As we get older, our muscles and joints tend to break down, training to balance in certain poses helps to prevent as well as reverse these losses.
Best Home Exercise Equipment for Beginners & Intermediates
1. Resistance Bands:
- Resistance bands are gaining a lot of popularity these days. They are majorly used as an alternative for weights in strength training as well as for recovery during physical therapy.
- However, they have evolved over time and become even more versatile. For instance, toning tubes are a great way to exercise your triceps, biceps, and chest.
- Toning Tube has handles and door anchors which are very convenient to carry out exercises that involve fat burning, stretching as well as Pilates.
- Booty bands or Loop bands are specially designed to target glutes and the lower body. One can combine resistance loop bands with a lot of exercises like squats, donkey kicks, fire hydrants, etc to activate those muscles.
- Heavyweight bands or Pull-Ups bands are a great way to assist in your pull-ups. For example, you will be able to do more pull-ups with the help of heavy resistance bands versus if you do it without them.
2. Yoga Wheel:
- Yoga Wheels are a unique Yoga assistance product. They are especially considered as the best back opener and stretcher.
- Yoga Wheel helps in achieving advanced sequences and forms that are not usually possible without equipment, especially as a beginner.
- The yoga wheel helps in improving flexibility and balance!
- It can be used for backbends, spinal stretch, child-pose, relieving backaches, etc.
3. Ankle and Wrist Weights:
- Ankle weights & Wrist weights are the perfect weight loads to any exercise for providing resistance to your muscles and maintaining bone density.
- One can add ankle weights to regular exercises, which helps in reducing weight faster and toning the arms and legs.
- Ankle and Wrist weights are an adequate and much safer option for walking, jogging, or running to strengthen numerous large and small muscles without causing injury or irritation.
4. Push-up Bar:
- Push-up bar is another unique little equipment that assists in push-ups.
- These dips bars are a must-have addition to your home gym equipment to execute a wide range of upper body exercises that target chest, shoulders, arms, biceps, triceps, and abs.
5. Dumbbells & kettlebells:
- Dumbbells and kettlebells are an obvious choice when it comes to home exercise products because they are the most versatile and important training equipment.
- They come many shapes, weights and materials and easily burn excessive body fat and build strength. Toning the body becomes much easier and faster with the use of weights.
- They are perfect for strength training, weight training as well as HIIT or other aerobic exercises.
- Kettlebells are specially designed to perform exercise moves that are generally not doable with other weights. Kettlebells keep the body loose due to the exercise’s movement patterns rather than isolation exercises.
Tips for Choosing the Right Home Exercise Equipment:
There are many options to choose from when it comes to exercise equipment for home. One need not spend heavily on expensive, bulky, and high-maintenance equipment.
Simple products that do not need too much space and are least expensive are already available in the market these days. As mentioned above, these products are unique, multi-purpose, and can be used anywhere- home, gym, or outdoors.
Let's go through a few steps on how to choose products that are right for your fitness goals:
1. Define Your Fitness Goals:
Everyone has a different purpose for workouts. Home exercise equipment differs based on the type of workout. Hence, it is vital to know what you want to achieve work out. Defining your goals involves, for example, if you are looking for bodybuilding, then weight training equipment like dumbbells are the best. However, if you are seeking fat loss or body toning, then you need to buy equipment like an Ab exerciser or an aerobic stepper, things that help in fat burning.
2. Estimate your budget:
As mentioned, you need not spend on expensive heavy equipment. However, it is still important to determine and set aside a budget to purchase products that can help you with your fitness journey. This prevents overspending on unnecessary gear, and when you are a beginner, it's better to start simple, rather than stuff your place with too many different products.
3. Choose Your Workout Spot:
You need to figure out how much space you will be able to spare to create your workout "zone." This is going to help you in making an informed decision regarding the size of products you can manage to store at home. For instance, if you have very little space but you choose to buy something like a gym- ball or a large bench, it will prove to be a hassle rather than a useful purchase. Having a dedicated workout spot or space helps you get into a focused mindset.
4. Determine Your Level of Training:
If you are a beginner, or if your goal is general fitness/ weight management, you need to start by purchasing simple products and ones that you know how to use.
For example, your set-up could include an aerobic step, several sets of dumbbells- a heavier set and a lighter set, a gym ball or a balance board, and some resistance bands and tubes.
Buy Home Workout Products Online: FITSY
At FITSY, we have a catalog of over 200+ products that cater to home, gym as well as outdoor exercises. We have multiple products of various workout requirements, whether you do weight training, Yoga, Pilates, or even just for strength and rehabilitation for an injury. We have it all!
Check out our complete range here: www.fitsy.in
We hope you found value in this article!
Please note: the views, suggestions, and advice given in this article are purely our opinion, and we request you to consult a professional before using any aforementioned advice